Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Week Nine - Final Thougts

Being a new librarian, I was surprised at how little was completely new to me from this training - but, that is absolutely a positive reflection on BCPL and on the other librarians at my branch and not on me personally! Appeal factors, sub-genres, Goodreads, EarlyWord...I had already been clued in to so many things by my coworkers, who wanted to make sure I had the tools do the best job I could, that by the time the training came around it was more a refresher than anything else. Like many, it seems, I particularly enjoyed the subgenres section, which I thought was an effective way of giving me an overview of large swaths of fiction with which I was unfamiliar. I also really liked our practice RA conversation assignments from early on in the training; I think that I really needed that kind of practice, and would have liked to have done more of it. Overall, I am really happy with the training - I think (at least I hope!) it has made me more confident in Reader's Advisory, and more knowledgeable about the world of book culture in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment